JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Longetivity

Hey Everyone, I was just wondering, I'm 17 now and have been appreciating JJFP for just over a year, what's it like for you guys in your twenties that have been listening to some of the albums for over 10 years? Do you still listen to and appreciate them as much as you used to? I'd be interested to know...

Jonny5

• Admin
some traxs more than others... like i still really bump willennium and code red...im not really playing girls n parents though... and i appreciate the more serious traxs like the rain over traxs like boom...

Same here, I don't really blast the 3 albums from the 80's. I like though how JJFP got more serious with their music. As being 15 years old, I understand and appreciate songs like "Shadow Dreams" and "Caught in the middle (love & life)" more and more. Now I haven't been listening to JJFP as long as Hero1 or AJ but it's still really great to listen too. Once in awhile though, you just gotta listen to the 3 albums from the 80s. Just to see how it was back then even though you have to turn up your speakers for it since it's so old.

Very close to being in my twenties (Birthday 2moro wooo!)

I don't listen to the albums as often as i used to, maybe because my collection has grown. I started buying music properly back in 1997 so Big Willie style & JJFP Greatest hits were among my first albums i owned, byt summer 99 i had all of them.

My fave still remains He's The DJ.... i still find the 80's style amazing to listen too, Hip Hop has never been beatne since which is a shame. Plus back whent that album was made Will was the same age as me which is pretty scary to think really what he'd accomplished in his lfe by that age.

Willenium is still ace tho, and i still occasionally listen to the others, just depends on how much spare time i have which seems to get less and less as the years head on

I think as u get older, u still ENJOY listening 2 the older trax, but u APPRECIATE the more meaningful trax a lot more. I find myself listening 2 Homebase and Code Red the most, but it's still cool 2 pop in an album like Rock The House and just bug out...haha. I agree with the above, I think it's just normal 2 listen 2 trax like "Shadow Dreams" and less trax like "The Girlie Had A Mustache" as u get older. The more u can relate 2 and appreciate the serious trax, the more u'll find yourself listening 2 them.

I appricate all their stuff. Each era represents a different thing and i can associate all of them with certain times in my own life. I didn't own Rock The House until 1991, but of course i knew of "Girls Ain't Nothing But Trouble"...so listening 2 the entire album gets associated with that song which reminds me of when i waz younger...but also 1991 since that's when i bought it.

When i make mixtapes 2 drive around 2, it's usually the stuff from the 1990's up until now, but that dosen't mean i don't appriciate that stuff. I havn't outgrown it or anything.

I like listening to a lot of JJFP but I could say that as I've gotten older, my favorites have changed. Back in '97(when I was 12), when I bought Big Willie Style on cassette(I bought it on CD last year when the volume on my cassette was getting low) I was in love wit "Gettin' Jiggy Wit It","Miami", and "Yes, Yes, Y'all", but when it was '99 I got "JJFP Greatest Hits" I loved "Boom Shake The Room" and in 2000 when I heard Willenium I loved listening to "Will 2K", but now I think that song's one of the weakest on Willenium and I like listening to "The Rain" and "Potnas" the most on there. I got "Code Red" last year and I love listening to "Can't Wait To Be With You" and "There's No Place Like Home", but my all-time favorite JJFP song since I turned 15 has been "I'm Lookin' For The One"(To Be Wit Me) wit Teddy Riley on the hook(a legendary producer and r&b performer). When I bought "Born To Reign" in 2002 when it came out, I loved "Block Party"(it brings back great memories of that summer) and I related to that song "Give Me Tonite" when I was trying to get with girls my senior year that already had boyfriends.(I also related "Let's Get busy, Baby" to that as well). :kekeke: I also bought Homebase and He's The DJ,I'm The Rapper last year and I enjoy a lotof that ****. Now that I turned 19 a few months ago I find myself listening to "Just The Two Of Us" and "Chasin' Forever" and I see that I'm more serious than I've ever been(maybe 'cause I'm not a kid anymore), but it's cool though how music could affect your life! :rock:

[quote=bigted,May 23 2004, 04:08 PM]my all-time favorite JJFP song since I turned 15 has been "I'm Lookin' For The One"(To Be Wit Me) wit Teddy Riley on the hook(a legendary producer and r&b performer).[/quote]
Hell yeah! that's been my all-time favorite since I turned 15 too! (like last August) lol.

It's great to have music that you can relate too. From your kids years (Parents Just Don't Understand...etc) throughout your teens (Girls Ain't Nothin But Trouble...etc) into turning an adult (Just the Two of Us, Chasin' Forever...etc) theres always songs that JJFP did because they were once kids, teens and now adults.

• Admin
[quote=DevilsJim89,May 23 2004, 04:33 PM][quote=bigted,May 23 2004, 04:08 PM] my all-time favorite JJFP song since I turned 15 has been "I'm Lookin' For The One"(To Be Wit Me) wit Teddy Riley on the hook(a legendary producer and r&b performer).[/quote]
Hell yeah! that's been my all-time favorite since I turned 15 too! (like last August) lol.

[/quote]
isnt that just the greatest track?? thats prob been my fav jjfp track of the last couple of years as well..

nine tre everybody wanna be a gangsta...

Sometimes videos that ain't flashy become hits, look at Teddy Riley's group Blackstreet, they made a big hit out of "No Diggity" and I don't think that the video was that flashy. I wished that song was a big hit as well 'cause Teddy Riley is one of the more underrated producers in hip-hop history. Alot of today's hip-hop fans might only refer to Kanye West, Timbaland, and The Neptunes, but Tedddy Riley paved the way for the type of producing they do in mixing the hip-hop and r&b together(in fact he discovered The Neptunes). Michael Bivans is a legend too and a lot of cats sleep on him as well but you can see how much of an impact their work to the game has been, but a lot of younger don't try anything new that's why these guys could still make great music over the crap that the young cats are doing! :dj: It would be dope to see Will collaborate again with Teddy Riley in the future!