JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Kel Spencer Brooklyn Spartans Thoughts

Hero1

• Admin

Never Retreat. Never Surrender. Kel Spencer has achieved a lot, but it doesn’t seem like the record labels want to recognize. He has assisted in 10 million record sales, writing for artists such as Will Smith, MC Lyte & Wyclef. He is a real artist, a genuinely talented rapper but where is the love? The music industry and the big record companies are at their lowest point right now. These record labels may underrate him, but Kel responds strongly in the Brooklyn Spartans mixtape. In 300, the Spartans fought against those that tried to oppress them, they held their position. Kel is coming back at the record labels and rap industry with the same mindset.

“doors slammed in my face by every label, told I needed more of a buzz by every label, was told I needed more of a story by every label.”

The mixtape starts off strong with Never Surrender. The track display’s Kel’s strong flow, he weaves in and out of the beat, dropping deft punch lines left and right while still moving forward.

“and y’all be waiting on the answer/the rap remedy for the current hip hop cancer”

In Rookie of the Year Kel raps over a great polow da don beat. It’s a standout on the mixtape. Kel Spencer is a master of crafting a hook. In fact it’s one of his greatest strengths. The hooks are always catchy enough to stick in your head, but still relevant to the track, not too complicated, yet not too simple. He rides so well over this harder beat you will be putting this one on repeat.

“ the homies bang like Vince Carter on a fast break”

Mash em out is a harder edged aggressive track filled with battle raps. My Profession features Kel’s brother Flo Blitz. This is a really strong track. Flo Blitz makes some good contributions to the mixtape. He drops some of the best verses on the album.

Searching is another great track. It’s a deep track with a reggae feel. I think Kel should do more tracks like this. He has some important things to say about life.

This is Brooklyn is another dope track. Kel gets some help from his brothers Flo Blitz and Pain. Get it, Get it is a grimy track. Bump it loud. Billy Jean 4000 is a crazy track about a crazy girl. It includes some very interesting answering messages. I’d like to hear the track without these though, because after a few listens it starts to get annoying. It’s an interesting story though, for sure.

Say It Ain’t So is another flo blitz track and he truly shines. He drops some great lines “suspect rapper , what’s your subject matter?” The main subject is the painful current state of rap.

The Titan and I’m a Soldier continue the theme of Brooklyn spartans. I’m A Soldier is one of my favorite tracks. It’s a Flo Blitz track and he delivers a powerful message.

“Brooklyn came to raise me/the good lord came to save me/you ask what the game done gave me?/strong heart big shoulders yeah I’m a soldier”

Don’t Play with Me features a vocal sample, a fast rap from Kel and more insight into who he is. I’m a Spartan I am not really feeling. This is Pain’s solo track. There are a lot of vocal samples from 300 in this that don’t really work, and I’m not feeling the subject matter. Kel rips it once again on Stupid. Come on Baby features some guitars but that beat doesn’t really work, that’s a skip for me. Talk it Up is a good track. Then you get a DJ Premier freestyle and Fantasia’s When I see You remix which you may have heard on Kel’s MySpace. The When I See You remix is really good and theres no surprise that got radio play around the world. Broken Language is more of the same, and Make Em Cry is another fantastic track. This is one of my favorite tracks and a really good idea and execution of a theme.

Master Plan finishes off the mix tape nicely and reveals the Brooklyn Spartans master plan in the rap game.

So what do you get with Kel Spencer? No cursing, intelligent raps delivered with skill and an emcee that is actually saying something. Get on board the Kel Spencer bandwagon because he is on a one-way path to success.

If you liked Kel’s first mixtape “Who is Kel Spencer?” you will love “The Brooklyn Spartans.” Its Kel rapping, but he has taken his skillz to the next level. The hooks are better and I think these tracks show off Kel more. His flow is tight and his lyrics are on point. It’s a perfect prelude to that first solo album. He has shown us what he can do, and we are seeing a lot of improvement since the days of Uuhhh. Now it’s time to deliver on that promise and give us that first album. If he sticks with the same approach of his mixtapes it will be a classic.

That's dope, lookin' forward to getting this, is this mixtape gonna be sold through cdbaby?

Little bit of a promo video i have thrown together for the Brooklyn Spartans Mixtape

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea_Q5e-3GIg

Kel's put this up on his page too so thats great for me.