JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

REMY MA CONVICTED OF SHOOTING WOMAN

Rapper Remy Ma convicted of shooting woman

Reuters

Posted: 2008-03-27 13:57:26

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Grammy-nominated rapper Remy Ma was convicted of assault, weapons possession and coercion Thursday for shooting a woman in the abdomen in a dispute about money in New York.

But the New York State Supreme Court jury also cleared her of charges of gang assault, witness tampering, witness intimidation and assault in a separate incident in which her associates are accused of beating up the boyfriend of a witness.

The artist, whose real name is Remy Smith, faces five to 25 years in prison.

Prosecutors said Remy Ma shot Makeda Barnes-Joseph in July after a night out in New York, thinking she had taken $3,000 from her purse. Defense attorneys had said the shooting was accidental.

Remy Ma was nominated for a 2004 Grammy for her part in Terror Squad's song "Lean Back."

Reuters/Nielsen

--------------------------------------------

I hope the situation is handled the best way possible. My prayers go out 2 her. I'm glad 2 know we shouldn't have 2 expect any music from her though. The real crime was her being nominated for a Grammy.