JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

MUSIQ SOULCHILD SPECIAL EDITIONS

With the success of Musiq Soulchild's new album, Def Soul has re-released his 1st 2 albums with a bonus disc features 7 rare/non-album tracks from their respective era. Trust me, it's worth buying these new versions if u are a big Musiq fan. Here's the run down...

AIJUSWANASEING

1. Just Friends (Sunny) (Masters At Work 12" Mix)

This is an 8 minute house remix of the modern classic. It was only released on the 12" promo single and on an import version of the single. If u are familiar with MAW, this is their typical style (which is a good thing) and the things that made the original song are wrapped up in this mix. Lovin' this.

2. Just Friends (Sunny) (Masters At Work Dub)

This mix will probably only be appriciated by fans of house music whereas the other will please any Musiq fan. Like most House/Dance/Club Dubs, the main focus of this is the music with vocal samples laced and played with thru' out the mix. This was apparently only available on an import CD single.

3. Just Friends (Sunny) (Beat Box Mix)

This has all of the original vocals with mostly Musiq's beatbox as the only background. Just a bit of keys support his beatbox. It says this mix waz only on the 12 vinyl single...but i swear i've seen this on the import CD single as well.

4. Just Friends (Sunny) (E-Smoove's Soul Revival)

This is another house/dance mix of the song. It runs over 7 minutes and provides a vibe just a bit different from the MAW remix. It was also on the 12" vinyl single and an import CD single. Good stuff.

5. Love (Instrumental)

This is the instrumental to his hit "Love"...the gospel song disguised as a typical love song. If u aren't a fan of instrumentals or don't like 2 sing along, u won't care much 4 this. But the A Touch of Jazz production is flawless on this one and keeps the attention of any fan of the music. This was never commercially released...only on the promo CD single released 2 radio stations.

6. Aimewitue

This song was on the only an import version of the album. I'm pretty sure this is the song Tim told me about years ago, saying it waz one of the best songs he did for the album and he waz disappointed it was only on the import...ha ha. I really do like this song but think that compared 2 Just Friends, Love, Mary Go Round, Seventeen, the song fits, but isn't the best. After all, the whole album is amazing. It's good 2 finally have this track tho.' Eric Roberson and Odyssey did work on this track 2! Anyone who has The Magnificent knows who they are.

7. The Ingredients of Love w/ Angie Stone

This song was on Angie Stone's 2001 album "Mahogany Soul." The mid-tempo soulful track was produced by A Touch of Jazz vets Ivan and Carvin. The song's topic focuses on the a couple who are each holding the weight of their relationship and putting labels on what they are doing 2 make it work. I passed up on this album and always wanted it (infact, i think someone is getting this Angie Stone album for my b-day), and finally hearing this song is great. Late 90's/Early 2000's ATOJ is simply amazing. Great song!!

JUSLISEN

1. Dontchange (Remix)

This song puts a bit of an edge on the original and features the legendary Ron Isley. The sound of this remix puts it in competition with the popular R-N-B songs of the time. The vocal approach 2 this remix is totally different from the original. Musiq and Ron Isley just sound good 2gether. This remix waz only available on the promo CD single.

2. Halfcrazy (Remix)

This is an interesting uptempo remix of the albums 1st single. The vocals again are totally reworked, making it nearly a whole new song. This rare remix waz only on the CD promo and 12" single. The best remixes are the ones that bring the whole song 2 a whole new vibe and both this and the "Dontchange" remix do just that. The musical breakdown in the middle of the song is kinda weird but it only lasts a second.

3. Halfcrazy (Summer Madness Remix)

This remix is closer 2 the original version but with a "Summer Madness" flip 2 it. This slower mid-tempo remix keeps the original vocals in tact which take me back 2 a good place mentally, while the new sound keeps me hooked. This remix waz only one promo CD singles and promo 12" singles.

4. Beautiful Contradiction w/ Beverly Knight

This James Poyser produced song was on Beverly Knight's "Who I Am." I've never heard of her before, but this song is great and i'll be checking her out. This mid-tempo song sounds like something u'd find on Musiq's album. The topic has them playing the part of a couple in love talking about how their differences make their relationship work. Just good early 2000 soul music.

5. Break You Off w/ The Roots

This is the hit most of u will remember from 2003. This is probably the last Roots song that i REALLY liked and Musiq waz a big part of that. It says this is the LP Version of the song, but i remember the version on the album being longer than this 5 minute version. The credits say this LP Version waz on the promo 12" single...so i'm pretty sure i'm right on this. This version is better cuz i remember being annoyed that the album version waz longer with a musical breakdown that i felt only cheapened the song.

6. Break You Off (A Capella)

Take the a capella for what it is...ha ha. Sure, the lyrics are good for simple subject matter, but i doubt many people will be excited that this track is on here. Oh well, it's better 2 have the track than 2 have a shorter bonus CD. After all, the only other place u'll find this is on the 12" promo single.

7. Dontchange (Pound Boys Main Mix) This 12 minute house/club mix takes the song 2 a whole different place...the dancefloor. The original vocals are placed over this upbeat remix, only available in an longer form on the promo 12" single.

In all, this Special Editions are dope. If u are a fan of Musiq, u will happy 2 own these. I can tell u right now that i'm about 2 burn a dope Musiq mix CD with all this stuff worked around some other rare and classic Musiq stuff. The original (1st) disc of each set is untouched from it's original form, as are the CD inserts. Fall in love with Musiq's best albums all over again in these new packages.

Thanks for the review, sounds dope, gonna check for 'em