JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

KHIA INTERVIEW

I have no idea why i am posting this. I waz reading that Tribe article again and came across this article. I think Khia is one untalented crap pile of an artist. She represents everything that is wrong with commercial rap. She thinks she's coming off as this really smart business person or something, yet only comes off as one of the biggest idiots 2 be proud of how stupid she is. And they way she disses MC Serch and Yo Yo makes it even worse. I don't know which i should warn u of 1st...her language or her ignorance.

----------------------

Miss Rap Supreme Castaways: Khia

April 22nd, 2008 | Author: Quinton Hatfield« Prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next » View All Pages

After watching the new reality show with episode two of Vh1’s Miss Rap Supreme Monday night, Khia, may've contradicted her reason for appearing to begin with in "demanding respect." The self-proclaimed "Queen of The South" was booted by MC Serch for using an album verse when asked for original collaboration. The lyrics were all too similar to the song “Respect Me” from her 2006 album Gangstress - and Serch must be a die-hard Khia fan, album cuts and all. Surprisingly, Khia's reaction to the bad news was tolerable on TV, but a swarm of media blitzing now shows her gangstress side.

The truth is, Khia's been competing all her career. Propelled by 2002's "My Neck, My Back," Khia moved over 800,000 units independently to start her mainstream career, but sustained her name with a vicious, catty beef with Trina. With that approach, and without another mainstream single, Khia has stayed relevant by linking up with Gucci Mane's former management, and doing a similar thing to him - claiming she's too trill for all of us to ever really understand. Explaining her attitude after Vh1, how Lil Wayne is her baby, and what makes up the style, do you understand Khia?

HipHopDX: On the reality show you were recently a part of, Miss Rap Supreme, the explosion between you and rival Mz. Cherry was pretty intense. She definitely struck a nerve with you when she called you a one-hit-wonder. But as the most experienced rapper in the house, why didn’t you just brush it off your shoulder and take the high road?

Khia: "Struck a nerve" definitely was not it. I’m from the same streets that she’s from, so I definitely knew that she was tryin’ to put on for the TV. So it was like, "Little girl, accomplish a ‘one hit.' I know you personally so for you to even try me…I’ll slide you under this refrigerator.” So when you know somebody, it’s like c’mon. I know Mz. Cherry personally. So, it’s like, don’t put on for the TV.

DX: Why did you cheat on the elimination freestyle?

Khia: I cheated during the whole show. That was my plan and my main objective for even going on the show. Everyone seems to not get it, but “You’re My Girl” was already on Thug Misses, “Respect Me” was on Gangstress, my object for going on the show was not to compete with a bunch of amateurs, but to promote my music. That was the whole reason why I went on the show and my mission was accomplished so I bowed out gracefully. It was great.

DX: I get that your whole point was to use the show for publicity, but can you at least admit that it would have been better for you if you hadn’t cheated? That way you could stick around longer and gain more exposure, or even win the $100,000?

Khia: Yes and no. Because Serch was a hater; he already knew that everyone else’s stuff was pre-written to but because mine was known; it was a conspiracy. They knew I had to go. Because they know I have **** for years and days, I would've never ran out of lines or forgot my words like Mz. Cherry did because my catalogue is out of the roof. I write songs for a living. So just because my song are known, I got eliminated? And because their songs are not, they didn’t? Because Serch knew everybody’s freestyle was pre-written so I felt like it was time for me to go because he was hatin’.

DX: How do you know for sure everyone’s freestyle was prewritten?

Khia: What do you mean? I lived with them. I was with them everyday. They were all raps that I had already heard…The joke’s on you Serch, if [everyone’s freestyle wasn’t already pre-written] you should've told me [when I was disqualified] “You did “You My Girl,” you did “**** Them Other Hoes,” you did “Hater Walk,” and you did “Respect Me;” you gotta go”. I did pre-written songs through the whole show! So, they knew. They was just hatin’. How can he be a judge when I’m not giving him any respect?

DX: Speaking of respect, Don’t you think that just like you demanded respect from the girls in the house who were less experienced than you; that you should show respect to a pioneer like Yo-Yo who paved the way for female emcees like yourself?

Khia: Please, Yo-Yo is a joke. She just wanna make everybody look like a fool. Yo-Yo wasn’t there to show any love to the females in Hip Hop. They picked a cast of crackheads, strippers, bull-daggers and a veteran to try to get tension going in the house. What makes for better TV: A whole bunch of lyricists or a whole bunch of jackasses? Yo –Yo didn’t pick girls with talent. Yo-Yo picked girls with issues. That makes better TV. So, no, she don’t get respect [from me]. ..I don’t even wanna be considered a female rapper; I’m an artist. I’m a music composer. I’m in a category all by myself so…I’m not even in a category with all of them

DX: The last time we talked you said you were the queen of the south. Now it’s over a year and some time later as we're talking again, so do you feel the same and why?

Khia: Yes I feel the same and I’m the queen of the south because I’m the only woman in Hip Hop that’s had a worldwide hit that sticks like grits. What other female artist writes, composes, and produces all three of their albums? None of their albums, none of their songs, if that’s the case. So until their able to do that I’m the queen of the south. I don’t even want to be in that category “female emcees,” because I’m not an emcee, I’m a creative artist that creates music.

DX: Alright so how you feel about other people hating that might feel you not the queen of the south?

Khia: They can hate, it’s either you with me or against me. Either or that’s what’s up, I love it.

DX: To keep it real with me, what does it take to be the queen of the south and how long will you have the title?

Khia: You definitely have to have your own business, you have to be the boss of your own enterprise, you have to run your own ship. You have to write, produce, and compose, and distribute your own music. You have to be the boss lady, you can’t work under others, you can’t let others dictate what you put out, how you want to look. You can’t let them come in and select writers for you, select producers for you. You have to produce your own image, your own style, and your own work. You have to love you yourself and if your doing what your supposed to be doing your music will come through your music. I feel like a lot of people are in positions and they ain’t supposed to be there.

DX: So you airing it out right now that a lot of these females don’t handle their business and a lot of dudes is handling stuff for them?

Khia: I don’t have to keep repeating myself over, we already know how it goes. That’s why I’m not gonna even put myself in the same category as them because they not even on my level, they don’t do what I do.

DX: How do you feel about your hardcore lyrics and the image you representing for the women out there, do you feel that’s the case?

Khia: Yeah because all my music is real, it’s me. I’m happy that women can relate and support me and my music. All I can is be me,

DX: Now you know I was going to ask, but what is the problem with you and Trina? Let it be known and keep it real...

Khia: You know Trina is so last year and everybody wants to mix the truth with beef. I don’t respect Trina as an artist, because I don’t feel she’s talented and she’s not on my level. For me to say that about her they mix that with beef in which all I did was told the truth. You don’t write your stuff, you don’t do what I do. She took offense and put a diss record out, not once, she put a lot of diss records out when her album dropped. I thank her for the promotion, I don’t have to be writing diss records I write hits, that’s what it is. I’m not putting no more diss records out, none of that. They mix the truth with beef and they can have fun with that. I make music and that’s what I do.

DX: Trina just released the new album Still Da Baddest, when I read your album review you called it Still Da Nastiest, why did you say that?

Khia: Because that’s what it is, if you read the review I spoke on everything. I’m done, Trina’s not even on my level so I don’t even have to speak on her anymore. Everybody knows how I feel about Trina.

DX: Speaking on her review some people said you were hating. Can you explain to them why your review was not hating, but constructive criticism?

Khia: You know you gonna have people that agree and disagree. I thank them all for the promotion, it’s all promotion. It’s entertainment and people need to be entertained.

DX: If she wanted to call peace would you?

Khia: You know what? Trina is like the whore in your neighborhood nobody likes, the whore at your school nobody likes. Hoes never get respect and it is what it is. It’s no beef, I don’t respect her as a women period and that’s just what it is. She can do her and I’m a do me. I can thank her for the promotion.

DX: Aside from that you have a new album coming out called Nasty Musik. So what is so nasty about your music?

Khia: Nasty, real, blunt, raw, upfront, in ya face, that’s me. When it’s nasty it’s not just because it’s sexual, it’s nasty because it’s real and it’s for the thugs and thug misses. It’s hot and it’s my best. All my albums are platinum, no matter what the numbers say. It only gets better and it’s a great album.

DX: So were going to have more songs like “My Neck, My Back”?

Khia: Yes, you know you got that on there, it’s the old Khia.

DX: I was reading some on the Internet in which you was talking about Lil Wayne. This is the exact quote from what I read “I’m a be Weezy’s lady and have his baby,” so what’s good with that?

Khia: Yes I love Weezy, that’s my baby. He gonna do big things this year.

DX: So you look forward to dating Lil Wayne?

Khia: That’s my baby. [Laughs]

DX: You have the label Big Cat Records in which you're CEO right?

Khia: Yeah, me and Big Cat did a joint venture so it’s Thug Misses Entertainment/Big Cat Records. We both been getting this independent money for a minute so were gonna get rich together.

DX: You’re a boss lady on the independent level, in which you said a lot of females don’t handle their business and let a lot of males control them. What advice would you give to a lot of female upcoming artist out there?

Khia: If music is what you love and that’s what your supposed to be doing being involved and handling your own business is a part of your job description. If you want to rap and you think it’s all about being on TV and playing dress-up like Trina you got the wrong idea, because you don’t make your money like that. You make your money with your publishing, owning your masters, and being in control of your situation. The bottom line is that everything that glitters ain’t gold. "The Diamond Princess" is really the rhinestone princess, you ain’t really getting no money like that. You definitely have to take control of your situation and be a boss bitch.

DX: Oh so that’s what Khia is, a “Boss Bitch” huh?

Khia: Yes, yes!

DX: With you being a women in the music industry what made you come with the idea “Hey I ain’t letting no dudes takeover me”?

Khia: You know what [laughs], once I dropped “My Neck, My Back” on my first album I learned early that it just was harder. It was just harder for me to get on BET, get on MTV, get on the radio. You know a lot of them was about payola, a lot of people don’t see what goes on underneath the surface. I seen all of the politics, all of the snakes early on and was like, “You know what I got to take it from the streets and direct from fan to artist.” From me to them, I got to put it under their heads, because other than that me being the queen, me having my dreads, me being beautiful and me loving my blackness. A lot of people want you to have the weave down your back, blonde hair and blue eyes, and getting injections in your cheek bones and ass. That’s what they considered beautiful so seeing me coming through the door they didn’t consider me beautiful, but I considered myself beautiful so it was time for me to take it through the streets. My fans in the streets embraced, welcomed me, and supported me. For me to be myself I had to do it myself and a lot of people sell they soul. Don’t go that route, so for me, I’m glad that I didn’t.

DX: How you feel about the media when they say Hip Hop degrades women being a female artist yourself?

Khia: You know what it’s so many things that the media say it’s like come on. You have people that write movies, killer movies, scary movies, nobody don’t say, “They this and they that,” so it’s like whatever.

DX: Back to “My Neck, My Back” people would like to know you still freaky like that?

Khia: The song was freaky to you? The song for me was niggas be hollering [to] suck they dick, so for me it was like, "**** what you got, I got my own money, I ride my own Benz, so lick my ass, nigga. I didn’t feel like it was freaky I feel like it was **** what you got, I love myself, I got myself, now please me, it’s not always about pleasing you. It wasn’t freaky it was just love me, it’s not all about you."

DX: Oh so it goes back to what you were saying “Snatch the cat back” or something like that.

Khia: Yeah, see it’s a different for thug misses. I’m not gonna say, "I’ma **** you and your homeboy over there tryin' to **** me in my ass and I’m rob you and set you up." I’ma say, "**** what you got, respect me because I hustle like you do. I’ma help you, we gonna help each other." Thug misses is a difference and my fan-base were like family so they know what it is. It’s either you’re a fan or your not.