JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

R. KELLY, USHER, N.E.R.D. NEWS

R. Kelly Reveals He Suffers From Illiteracy

Posted Oct 2nd 2009 7:30PM by Latifah Muhammad

R&B singer/songwriter R. Kelly revealed that despite his musical talents, he suffers from illiteracy and barely made it through grade school. The Grammy winner recently spoke at the Midwest Music Festival in Chicago, about the trials and tribulations of starting his career.

"When I was trying to make it out here, I already knew, and I was stubborn about it," he said. "I don't even read really and I'm not afraid to say that. My cousins and brothers used to tease me 'you can't even read right. How you think you're going to come up?' The only reason I graduated from grammar school is because I had a great jump shot. I went to high school and [my teacher] told me 'you will one of the greatest writers of all time.' I believed. You [have to] believe it. You can't believe [anything] if you're hating. You can't achieve [anything] if you're hating."

Since being exonerated from child molestation charges Kelly has been working on his upcoming release. When news of Kelly's possible sexual escapades with a then underage girl broke in 2001, the singer maintained his innocence despite the leak of a sex tape showing him and the victim. He has received mixed reactions in response to the allegations but the 42-year-old stated that he is undaunted by his critics. "I got ya'll beat if you're hating on me," he said. "Because I love you. That's why I keep doing what I do."

Last year Kelly spoke publicly about the child molestation case. "I can't keep answering these questions," he said in an interview. "If you [were] charged with something and you [were] found innocent, then you can't be found guilty for being found innocent."

Kelly's forthcoming album is due in stores Oct. 12.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Say What! -- Nick Cannon Threatens Eminem + More

Posted Oct 2nd 2009 8:30PM by Sharks

"[Eminem is] lucky I haven't run into him yet," Nick Cannon told In Touch Weekly "I'm supposed to protect my woman if someone can be so heinous and disrespectful. Until we speak, I don't respect him as a man. He and I need to have an old-school sit-down." Yeah, he probably really wants to have a sit-down with you, too. Just work it out, fellas, then makes some good music comedy...What is it you do again, Nick? [starpulse]

Lloyd apologized about calling Ciara a "Hollywood B-----." Sort of. "I said what I said and I stand by it. But read exactly what I said, then judge me. The truth is, I don't **** with Hollywood B----s (or Hollywood N----s for that matter). No, I'm not calling Ciara a b----, I'm saying that I think celebrity status changed her for the worse, and because of that, we don't get down anymore." So "b----" is just what you've always call her, the "Hollywood" part is new. Apology accepted. [bossip]

Ryan Reynolds is hosting SNL this week with musical guest Lady Gaga. "She's a talented musician," he told MTV. "You sort of forget that with all the glitz and glamour...She plays piano beautifully and sings beautifully and is this masterful musician but, at the same time, will put on an entire unitard made of hearing-aid-colored fabric and be a little strange, so you sort of forget." I know, it's like, "hey, behind that hat made of cat feces, ketchup and marzipan lies a talented songstress with the voice of an angel/bird! Too bad all her music is made for the Jersey shore. [MTV]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kanye West on Chicken: I Eat It Because I'm Black

If you thought Kanye West only loved himself (and Beyonce's 'Single Ladies' video), you thought wrong, chicken is also on that list. The Chicago rapper was spotted coming out of a Los Angeles eatery and when asked if he chose to dine on chicken or fish, Yeezy jokingly expressed his love for foul.

"Well the way I came up with that decision was, I'm kind of hungry and I just ... um ... I think I wanted some chicken because I'm black -- [so] you know I like chicken a lot," he said. "I'm gonna' do a commercial for chicken for free."

Although he was most likely being facetious, this is his second "chicken-related incident" in the past few weeks. West recently made headlines for throwing a fit over not getting chicken during a surprise appearance at the "Common & Friends" benefit concert in Los Angeles.

"Why wasn't I offered chicken?" He was overheard complaining. "You want me to perform for free, [and] everyone is eating ... Why am I not eating?" Adding insult to injury West allegedly yelled at the waitress when she noted that he hadn't actually asked for anything to eat. Once served, onlookers revealed that he took only one bite of the chicken before throwing it out.

Since his outburst at the MTV Movie Awards, West is making good on his promise to take some off, canceling his tour with popstar Lady Gaga. Lets just hope that his break also includes not talking to the paparazzi so much, because he's not looking too good right now.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

N.E.R.D Recruit Female Singer for New Album

Posted Oct 7th 2009 5:15PM by Nadeska Alexis

In preparation for their upcoming album, 'Instant Gratification,' N.E.R.D. has enlisted female singer Rhea to add some unique vocals to the project. Although Pharrell has had plenty of experience singing those high-range hooks, the super producer told MTV News he was convinced that Rhea would add a new dimension to the sound of the group.

The Toronto native, who has a background in classical singing, was linked to the band through a mutual friend and auditioned via Skype before she got the official thumbs up to join the crew. "Musically, we're just somewhere else [with her]. The music is now very 3-D. It's something you have to hear," Pharrell said. "But you'll see. We're definitely somewhere else. I want to leave that impact moment for when you purchase your download and you purchase your CD. The music is very three-dimensional. We're just really excited. We feel like N.E.R.D. has always been the punks of hip-hop and the outcasts of alternative music -- just a little different. But this time, we're taking no prisoners."

Pharrell explained that despite her teeny size, Rhea's powerful vocals allow the band to open up their musical range and experiment further. "Now you have this little Tinkerbell that's just stepped in and has been amazing," he said. "It's made it a fun process. We can go in so many more directions, because we have the vocal support."

'Instant Gratification,' is slated for a 2010 release and N.E.R.D. will join Jay-Z on his 'Blueprint 3' tour beginning next week.

R. Kelly's new album came out yesterday?

I'm sure that's a typo since it's not a Tuesday release. I looked 2day and picked up the new Kevon Edmonds album and the new Mario album. I also picked up Deathrow's new Snoop Doggy Dogg album. Deathrow's new owners put 2gether a good album. It took me back 2 Snoop's prime.

Id like to check out that Snoop new album.. The Mario one doesnt call me at all.. I didnt know about Kels one, I hope it is like double up with R&B and rap, I'll give it a try first..

I think about half of Mario's album is good...the other half sounds like the crap on the radio. R. Kelly's "Double Up" was awful. The newest "singles" weren't very good either. I think he's lost his touch temporarily.