JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

What did you think about the hip hop honors?

VIsqo

Hey, people, nobody talked about this year hip hop honors after it was done on monday. I saw it and I think it was better than what I expected, being it the dirty south.. I didnt like that they had Diddy performing and singing the part about new york on the welcome to atlanta remix, I mean, are you serious?

This is a recap from rap.about.com from the awards:

8:05 Comedian Craig Robinson (The Office, Hot Tub Time Machine) has just undergone a thorough southern makeover, replete with grills and chains bigger than his head. Lil Jon gave him a new, long, damn near unpronounceable nickname.

8:16 The J Prince is on right now. "The South is the meat," says J Prince. I'd like to put that on a shirt.

8:20 The Game could have used a teleprompter for his performance.

8:21 Drake just gave a solid rendition of Pimp C's verse from "Get Throwed." Dude should go ahead and relocate to H-town. I'm sure housing is more affordable here than in Toronto.

8:27 Jonah Hill is here to honor Jermaine Dupri. JD's glasses are 11x bigger than his eyes.

8:29 We just learned that So So Def was so named because JD thought he was deffer than Def Jam.

8:31 Bow Wow just treated the crowd to a spirited rendition of Kriss Kross' "Jump." A sign that he was born 10 years too late.

8:33 JD followed that up with his hit "Welcome to Atlanta." Which makes no sense. You shouldn't be allowed to perform your own song in your own honor.

8:40 Romeo (pka Lil Romeo) just graced the stage to honor his dad (aka Mr. Make 'Em Say Uhhn) Master P.

8:42: Master P: "You can't trust a thief, but you can trust a hustler."

8:48 The Master P tribute performance was going well until Silkk the Shocker stepped on the stage. He still hasn't learned how to rap on beat.

8:50 Wait, Trina came all the way out here just to say, "That's cool"?

8:59 Bone Crusher just performed "Never Scared" as part of the Atlanta tribute. He looks like he ate the rest of the honorees.

9:09 Bun B is performing "Big Pimpin'" in honor of Super Producer Timbaland. When did they start calling him that?

9:14 Ooooh snap, it's that unmistakable intro to Missy's "Get Ur Freak On." A highlight in Timbo's enviable production catalog. Up next is "Work It," another Timbo smash. Has anyone seen Magoo lately? I'm guessing he's somewhere chewing a coffee table right now.

9:22 Slim Thug kicks off the Texas tribute with "Like A Boss." Strange. He's wearing a white tee and black jeans. Aside from the bling, you'd think he just woke up.

9:23 Paul Wall just performed "Sittin' Sidewayz." Followed by Chamillionaire with "Ridin'." Now that's more like it.

9:40 The Organized Noise tribute was on point until Asher Roth joined the lineup. His inclusion makes no sense unless they ran out of people.

9:52 Miami tribute is on. Trina. Flo Rida. Rick Ross. DJ Khaled is a wearing "Free Lil Wayne" t-shirt.

10:00 The show concludes with a montage of various artists describing what it means to be from the south. Nice.

And it's a wrap.

I've watched little bits and pieces of it. I didn't care to see it that much. Jermaine Dupri and Timbaland were probably who I wanted 2 see the most and I haven't seen their parts yet. I saw 2 Live Crew's part. The whole dirty south theme was just stupid. From the parts I did see, they were more tolerable than I expected but still a waste of an honor show. I think VH-1 shot themselves in the foot this time and it's showing.