JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Rapper Drake Protests Off-Shore Drilling

bigted

(AllHipHop News) Rapper Drake has teamed with organizations Green The Block and The Hip-Hop Caucus to help promote a cleaner green environment.

Drake is slated to perform tomorrow (June 13th) during the “Stop The Off Shore Drilling” rally being held at the 9:30 Club in Washington D.C.

The partnership between Drake, Green The Block and The Hip-Hop Caucus started when the organizations joined Drake on his “Campus Consciousness Tour” and witnessed the rapper’s commitment to a green lifestyle first hand.

Drake aims to educate fans about the importance of keeping the environment clean, especially in the wake of the BP oil disaster.

“Every where you turn, pollution and poverty are hurting our communities,” Drake said. “We can change that. Going green is the solution. I’m green on my tour, I am greenin’ block and you can too. It’s easier than you think.”

The collective will also protest BP and the massive oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico which started on April 20th and has been leaking over 1 million gallons of oil into the Gulf per-day.

So far, the leak has ruined vast stretches of coastal areas and marsh lands in Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida.

The Hip-Hop Caucus and Green The Block will protest the oil spill and the oil industry as a whole, on a new upcoming mixtape titled Stop Offshore Drilling!, which will be released tomorrow.

Drake’s highly anticipated album Thank Me Later is due in stores on June 15th.

I don't like Drake's music at all. But I guess I like that he's standing up for something. Hip-Hop used to be about expressing yourself and making a change. If you are a person who cares about the environment, can't u take one of the songs u've got on your album about ho's, drugs, and guns 2 talk about stuff like this that actually matters? That's what a little something I call "keepin' it real."

By the way, if u wanna hear real artists practice and preach, check Arrested Developments song/video "Greener."

Well there's gonna be a mixtape called 'Stop Offshore Drilling!' like that article said so that's a step in the right direction, Drake ain't the most talented and positive rapper but I give him credit

Yeah, he deserves a little credit for this, at least he is standing up for something positive.. More rappers should join the cause and several other bigger causes around the world..

To be honest, I think most of today's rappers are selfish, small-minded individuals. Do they REALLY care about other people? I want the artists I like to have heart. To care about others as they care about themselves. Whatever happened to people being good people? I'm not trying 2 get off topic, but dare I ask how many successful commercial rappers are actually good people? This goes beyond music. Does anyone else feel like we live in an age where's it's acceptable to be selfish, immature, mean, hateful, and straight WRONG?

I doubt I'll ever respect Drake as artist but I'd like to think he's a good guy and that an action like this isn't a publicity stunt.