JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

MARIO ARRESTED FOR BEATING UP HIS MOM

This definitely has me looking at Mario in a different way. I used to really respect him...
---------------------------------------------------------

Mario Arrested for Beating Up His Own Mother

Mario is in hot water. The 24-year-old was arrested this morning in Baltimore for second degree assault. Earlier this week, after flying into a rage, the platinum-selling R&B singer allegedly assaulted his mother Shawntia Hardaway, with whom he shares an apartment.

According to TMZ, police claim that Mario, whose real name is Mario Dewar Bennett, was "throwing and damaging property," which they later discovered to be a broken china cabinet and shattered mirror. Police also state that Mario then pushed Shawntia, a former heroin addict, with his hands and forearms "eight feet into a living room wall, where Ms. Hardaway hit her head on the wall" where an imprint was made upon impact.

This isn't the first time that Mario, who was released this morning on $50,000 bond, has been involved in a physical altercation. This past July, the singer punched a sound engineer at the 16th Annual Rochester MusicFest after he cut off his microphone and turned the lights on when his set ran too long.

Mario, who most recently appeared as a contestant on Season 6 of 'Dancing With the Stars,' released his fourth album 'D.N.A.' in September 2009. He is currently working on his club-oriented fifth LP.

Or he's an emotionally immature quick-to-anger person. I don't understand how people can grow up this way and not be in control of themselves. Stories like this are crazy. What does it take to make a person so angry that they would harm their own mother? I hope they work their stuff out and that he gets help...and that she stays clean. Last I read she never actually got off drugs, but that she goes back and forth on them. Lastly, I'm disappointed to hear Mario is jumping on the bandwagon and doing a stupid club-influenced album.

• 1 month later...

Looks like Mario is cleared. This relieves me because I've been a fan of him since he came out. I remember watching a reality special on MTV a few years ago and it dealt with him trying to help his mom get over her addiction. When I read the article about this the 1st time it made it sound like she was over her addiction which is why I considered it possibly true...but otherwise thought drugs would have been involved. Seeing him taking care of his mom and not giving up on her on that reality documentary made this hard to accept. I'm glad he's in the clear and hopefully she can finally break this addiction.

--------------------------------------------------

Mother of 'Dancing' Star Mario Drops Assault Claim

By PopEater / Wire Services Posted Nov 4th 2010 08:52AM

Mario Prosecutors have dropped misdemeanor assault charges against R&B singer and former 'Dancing With the Stars' contestant Mario. The artist, whose full name is Mario Barrett, had been charged with second-degree assault for allegedly shoving his mother into a wall at their Baltimore home.

But a spokesman for the Baltimore state's attorney's office says Mario's mother, Shawntia Hardaway, changed her story on the witness stand Tuesday. Hardaway said she was under the influence of drugs and alcohol when she called police on Oct. 1 and that her son never laid a hand on her.

Mario's attorney, Billy Murphy, says it was clear from the beginning that his client never struck his mother and that Mario "remains committed to helping his mother battle her addiction."

Mario was arrested in October and charged with one count of second-degree assault and later released after he posted a $50,000 bond.

Hardaway was crying when police arrived at her apartment and said her son caused her "minor pain." According to the police report, Mario pushed her "eight feet into a living room wall, where [she] hit her head on the wall."