JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Lupe Fiasco Responds to Soulja Boy with song

VIsqo

Lupe Fiasco Responds to Soulja Boy with "Super Lupe Rap"

Lupe Fiasco has been in a state of perpetual reactivity lately. When Atlantic delayed the release of Lasers, the Chicago rapper responded with "The Show Goes On." When Soulja Boy told XXL magazine that he doesn't want to be "super-Lupe-Fiasco-lyrical and n-ggas don't know what the f-ck I'm talking about," Lupe struck back with a song called, you guessed it, "Super Lupe Rap."

Whereas Soulja Boy deems Lupe's lyricism as a liability, Lupe fully embraces it as a strength. The outcome is a good ol' metaphor-driven, chest-thumping rap for those who like their hip-hop without all the dougie'ing and hopscotching. After about 6 minutes of intense lyrical exercise, Lupe thanks Soulja Boy for his new moniker: Super Lyrical Lupe. But I doubt he was being complimentary. It's more like a backhanded compliment. It's also strong, if comical, reminder of Lupe's ability to shred a beat to bits when he's perfectly motivated. Take a listen.

* Lupe Fiasco - "Super Lupe Rap"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfFlQnzC82o

I can only interpret this as Soulja Boy admitting that his "lyrics" are irrelevant and that no intelligence is required to write them or enjoy listening to them. Am I the only one? It's a good song but why is Lupe rapping with a forced southern drawl in the beginning. That's kind annoying.