JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

TONI BRAXTON CONFESSES SHE HAS LUPUS

JumpinJack AJ

Toni Braxton Confesses She Has Lupus

By Marcia on Nov 17th 2010 11:55AM

Yesterday afternoon at the 8th Annual Lupus Bag Ladies Luncheon in Los Angeles, Grammy Award-winning singer Toni Braxton delivered a startling revelation to a room full of about 600 women and celebrities: In addition to her heart condition, she has Lupus, the autoimmune disease effecting more than 1.5 million Americans. Attendees, who thought the 43-year-old Braxton was only there to receive the Humanitarian Award given by the organization, were stunned when she said: "Take a look, this is what Lupus looks like." The disease, which causes the body's immune system to attack healthy cells and tissue, is potentially deadly.

Braxton, who has attended the fundraiser several times over the years, took to her Twitter account (@ToniBraxton) to express her thoughts on the revelation: "Had a great time... A big moment for me. It was a tough decision to come out about it. But it was such a relief!" This isn't the first health condition the star suffers from. Most recently, it was reported that she had a benign tumor removed from her breast shortly after her run on 'Dancing With the Stars.' And in 2008 she was diagnosed as suffering from pericarditis, an inflammation of the heart lining that has left her prone to high blood pressure and heart palpitations. That finding forced her to cancel her show in Las Vegas and several tour dates.

Most recently Braxton made headlines when she filed for Bankruptcy, for the second time, citing her inability to pay bills in excess of $50 million.

Whoah, that's sad to hear, I pray that she'll be able to survive this and continue to bless us with her lovely music

Yeah, I wonder how long she has had it. She's been involved with Lupus organizations for a few years now so it probably been a few years. It makes me admire the work that she has done in the last few years even more. She's a true survivor. It helps us realize why she hasn't released as much material in the past 10 years...but reminds one of the greatest R-N-B singers of all time. She's always been one of my favs and I'll continue to support her by picking up the albums and sending prayers her way. R-N-B needs talented angels like her to balance out the current watered down state.