JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Ja Rule working on "Renaissance" LP

bigted

New York rapper Ja Rule recently discussed his emphasis on respecting women with his upcoming Renaissance LP and making "grown-up" music.
Click to learn more...

Admitting the album is near completion, Rule discussed maturing with his music.

"We in Miami doing it, putting the finishing touches on the [Renaissance] project," Rule said in an interview. "Finishing that up and we're getting started on [Pain Is Love 2]. Yeah, Pain Is Love 2. Yeah, it's about to go down. The Renaissance Project, it's got a real soulful vibe, a real music vibe. It's rider music. When you listen to the album, it'll put you in a different zone -- I dealt with the women on the album, you know, different than what you're used to. It's kind of like grown-up conversation. When you're young and you're making records towards the ladies, sometimes they can be rather derogatory. 'B*tch, h*e this, B*tch, that.' So you know, with some of the records on this album, they're more on an intellectual level when I'm talking to the ladies. It's more of a relationship that we've been in for a long time that we know how to talk to each other verbally..." (Rule York)

After initially titling the album Venni Vetti Vecci 2, Rule explained his motivation behind killing a follow-up to his 1999 debut.

"It's gonna be called The Renaissance Project," Rule told Mikey T The Movie Star, referring to his upcoming album. "I didn't scrap Venni Vetti Vecci 2. I still got a lot of songs from Venni Vetti Vecci 2 but I'm feeling like everybody's doing the sequel album and you know, I didn't want to keep the cliche sh*t going. I'm dropping. That's what they need to know. I'm coming heavy with records in the next few weeks. I'm about to start dropping some records. 'Man Down' is out right now. It's getting a lot of love, getting a lot of response from a lot of deejays and sh*t. But you know, we about to start dropping records heavy. The game is different, it changed a lot. I understand the game is about dropping music even if it's not good material. So [my record label] MPire's getting ready to drop a lot of material in the next few weeks." (Movie Star Status DVD)

Rule broke the news on his latest album title in September.

"I changed the name of my album from Venni Vetti Vecci 2010, first of all, Venni Vetti Vecci was my baby, that was my first album," Rule explained in an interview speaking on his 1999 debut. "You can never duplicate that era in time. That was my whole life's work in that album up until that time. And then number two, I went to Africa -- it took on a hold of me, when I was doing my album and the whole project, what I was going through right now, with the new beginning, I'm not with Murder Inc. anymore, but they're still the family. I'm on my own venture, so it was a sign of a new beginning, new ambitions, new everything. They built this statue out there, it's called The Renaissance and it's a statue of a man holding his baby on his shoulders with his wife in his arms, pointing to the heavens. To me, it just symbolized what I'm about right now and just the word -- fresh start, I said that's what I want to call my project, The Renaissance Project and it represents what I'm about..." (XXL Mag)

Last spring, Rule updated fans on the status of his delayed project.

"It's been a good ride, you know what I'm sayin'? It's been a wild ride, but it's been fun. With this album I feel like I've conquered all those little obstacles that I had to get around, and now I'm ready to get this product out to the world again...I worked with a lot of different producers on this album. Some new guys, some veterans. The album's put together really well. It just has an overall feel to it, the sound is vintage Ja Rule, but then it's different, I've been playing with this new sound that I've been trying to develop." (Dubcnn)

I'm not a Ja-Rule fan but as always, I'll give any release an honest listen. Since his fame as faded, it sounds like he's grown up a bit, and he's no longer on Murder Inc. (a completely phony record label), it actually sounds like he has the opportunity to make sensible music.

Murder Inc definitly made it's way to a page in the Hip Hop History Book, like Visqo said. It however never realy was a real record label, it alays a platform for Ja Rule & Ashanti to release music on, nothing more and nohting less. Or does anyone remember other releases? As far as I know, only Lloyd ever managed to release an album not being from or with Ja Rule & Ashanti. I am looking a little bit forward to Ja Rules new stuff, tho I'm am not sure we are gonna hear it anytime soon.