JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

If 2pac was still alive and releasing music

Da Brakes

I can't stand 2Pac-wannabe's. That's all they are. Their voice is kinda like his so they try to rhyme like him and talk about the same stuff he would. They try to get beats reminiscent of his. I consider them jokes and nothing more.

It baffles my mind 2 think of where 2Pac's music would have gone. He was too unpredictable. I may be giving him too much credit with this next statement, but I swear, I believe commercial rap would have NEVER gotten half this bad if he was never murdered. He would have lyrically murdered these copy cats.

The Realest surfaced after 2Pac was murdered. Deathrow signed him to be 2Pac part 2, put him on compilation albums, and tried to be a carbon copy of 2Pac. He's gotten tattoos just like 2Pac. How is this guy not one of rap's biggest walking jokes?

2Pac's one of my favorite rappers but I think that if he was alive today he probably would be slept on like a lot of my favorites that still make music today, there's still some great artists alive still, the main problem is just that the majority of people who buy music today don't know what good music is, commercial hip hop was going to fall off no matter what since the teenyboppers make up the majority of record sales

Ive also thought about it and it is probably right, 2Pac would have lost a lot in the problems of Death Row and would be selling similar or lower than Snoop nowadays. Or who knows, he was prone to getting into trouble so maybe he would be like T.I going to jail several times in his career or just retired.

If 2Pac hadn't passed, I don't think mainstream Hip-Hop would be anything like it is right now. I'm not trying to make it sound like the state of Hip-Hop weighed on his shoulders, but his death very well may be the biggest event in Hip-Hop music. He was trying to get away from Deathrow and he shared plans to go in a direction with his music that was more introspective and not as explicit. I have a feeling he was truly changing up his own game (who actually believe the Deathrow era was his real persona?) and that his influence would have affected the rest of the scene.

I can't see that. He was struggling to better himself. The Deathrow thing was both stupid and made sense. Once he got off the label, I think he would have relaxed and made the music he originally intended to. I think the "what if" only adds 2 his legacy.