JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

BEYONCE "4"

I miss the days when we'd post about new albums that came out. I just wanted to post about the new Beyonce album.

I've been pretty hard on Beyonce, mostly because she's an amazing talent but her solo music is rarely amazing. Her first album was a nice effort of straight R-N-B with pop appeal. The ballads were the strength of the album (their production and their lyrics). BDay was tired, under produced, and predictable. Once again, the ballads were the only true gems on the album. I Am...Sasha Fierce was utter garbage (sorry Julie). The songs were over produced but didn't sound any good, her voice was rarely featured properly, many of the songs were lyrically stupid, and the Hollywood aspect of it was corny.

Beyonce has come back with a fresh an interesting album. I really want a straight R-N-B, Soul album from her, but this is good too. Her voice is back. She's sounds great and she's really singing again. The lyrics, for the most part, are on point across the board. Sure, some songs have more emotion to them than others but I really like where she takes the album lyrically. The most important aspect of the album is the production. You simply can't put the album in the box. The sounds and the instruments used in the music are just different but not crazy. If I would have gotten the R-N-B/Soul album I wanted from her, it would have never sounded this interesting. I can't say I love every beat on the album but there are only 2 songs or so that I really don't like the production to.

Beyonce definitely stepped her game up and took on a nice challenge that will almost certainly challenge the music industry to some extent. I gotta give her props. Peep the album if you think it might be your cup of tea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBXMSwO5JKA

On a separate note, the album has some really interesting photography in the insert which is often corny. She needs to remember that she's her most beautiful when she just looks like herself.

If you are picking up the album, get it at Target. Target's exclusive deluxe edition has 3 bonus songs and 3 remixes.

I have always loved Beyonce so Im definitely checking this album out. I dont agree with u on the solo music thing. Even though her work is not always on point, theres nobody on the music business who has been working more than this chick. And there's absolutely no album of hers without songs that u can truly enjoy, or dance or just play on ur car. Beyonce has evolved into a true artist, forget about that alter ego stuff she has, the woman is still on fire!

That's not true.. Her output, compared to others, isn't that big and her touring schedule isn't much bigger than what the others do. If it comes to who works the most (not who makes the best stuf but who works the most), my guess would be Rihanna and Lil Wayne. I'm pretty sure Jay-Z has more on his hands than Bee too. I will listen to this album by the way, I'm sure it can not get worse than SF. When it comes to her solo output, I agree 100% with AJ.. Which realy seems like a weird thing coming form aint it AJ? :D