JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

WE ARE THE WORLD 2005

JumpinJack AJ

Jay Z and Usher For Band Aid 20 USA?

Following the massive Number 1 success of Band Aid 20's rerecording of ‘Do They Know It's Christmas?’ Xfm can report that a new version of the American equivalent, USA For Africa's ‘We Are The World’ is now being planned.

The original US version 'We Are The World' was recorded by Quincy Jones in January 1985 and included Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Lionel Ritchie, Tina Turner and Cyndi Lauper.

Now MTV reports that legendary TLC, Run DMC, Usher, Snoop Dogg and Outkast producer Jermaine Dupri is planning on re-recording the track, with a new contemporary line up and sound.

"All new artists [will be on this version], it's the 20th anniversary of 'We Are the World’ Quincy Jones called me, he asked me to do it,” Dupri explained at the Grammy nominations earlier this week (December 7).

“We're just gonna make it something extravagant. We gonna try to re-create, follow in the footsteps of those who made a big record before, like Michael [Jackson], Quincy and Lionel Richie."

Dupri went on to explained than the new song was going to be retitled 'We Are The Future’ and he plans to record his version of the song on February 13 2005, the night of the Grammy Awards themselves.

The plan is to take all the artists involved straight into A&M Recording Studios following the ceremony (the studios played host to the original session in 1985). As for who is being lined up to appear, Dupri only revealed a a few names saying, "Hopefully Usher will be there, Kanye [West], Jay-Z hopefully, all the bigwigs."

He added that the new version would be markedly different from the Quincy Jones original, although he hoped it would strike a similar chord with the American public.

In terms of the sound of the track, the producer intends to retain the original spirit and scope of the original, while updating the style.

"Usually I didn't go for them sappy type of songs", he explained, “You hear them and be like, 'OK.' You know what it's for, but it ain't nothing I would ride around and listen to in my car.

"But ‘We Are the World’ struck me as something. It was a big record, and the way they did it was huge because they played it around the world simultaneously. It just became one of them type of records.

"It's difficult for us to duplicate what happened, but at least we gonna try to come close to it. The artists are the key to the whole situation. I hope the artists hear me and want to be a part of it."

http://www.xfm.co.uk/Article.asp?id=57477

cool sounds like there are some good artists that might be invloved.

hopefully it wont be as bad as band aid 20 in the UK that has been redone. The original was ok but they have re-recorded it this year and its awful, i know its for charity and stuff but they could at least make a decent song.

I think Jermaine Dupri is one of the most underrated and misunderstood people in Hip-Hop. U don't have 2 love him, but he's got lots of old skool ties and high standards 4 production which u don't find anymore. I'm very excited 2 hear the track. TLC and Run-DMC have both basically retired as groups...so i think this a perfect event for them 2 do something. Both have ties 2 So So Def camp so it makes sense. Usher, well, he's only one of the biggest superstars in the world right now....u can't go wrong there (hate on him if u really feel it's necessary).

He states that it would be pretty much impossible 2 recreate a song like that, but he seems 2 have HUGE plans 4 it. JD masterminded that 'What's Goin' On" remake in 2001 and if it's anything like that, i totally support him.

I think Jermaine Dupri is one of the most underrated and misunderstood people in Hip-Hop. U don't have 2 love him, but he's got lots of old skool ties and high standards 4 production which u don't find anymore.

Yep i'm with you on this one AJ!! I like JD...he's albums are dope and he has some thight productions...if Will would make a track with him, that would be dope!!

I think this song is gonna be great...i like that 'What Goin' On' song...I just hope Will and Jazzy will be on this track..how dope would that be... :thumb:

• 1 month later...

I found this on hiphopdx.com

Looks like we will have to wait...

Jermaine Dupri has postponed his planned all star “We Are The Future” tribute with some of hip-hops biggest names scheduled for next month. “The timing is not right for us to record a song about the future when so many people have lost their lives”, Dupri said. “We will proceed in a few months, but right now it’s about helping those who are dealing with the tsunami disaster and that should honestly be the focus”.

Ahhh, u are right. I guess i got so wrapped up in hearing about it that i didn't read it correctly. Jermaine Durpri tends 2 bring the people he's cool with in2 stuff like that tho.' I wouldn't be surprised if Janet, Usher, TLC, Run, Da Brat, and so on ended up being a part of the song.