JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Memphis Bleek appreciation thread

Frenetic

I haven't really been a fan of Bleek, and I still ain't. He doesn't strike me as the rapper to have fans. However, I've always listened to him cause of his good flow and really nice beats. So I just got my hands on 534 - his new album and is really impressed.

I've always known he had real talent from his solo guest appearence on Jiggas album, but it was really nice hearing a solid album.

This is a hiphopalbum. It got the dance songs, girl songs, hood songs and the serious songs. It's a album without a bad song, and without a really fantastic song, even though he hits it close with the last song - Straight Path. Straight Path is about turning your life around from being something bad to do something honorful, but your past will always hount you. It's about his friend, a former gangsta/thug who has turned his life around and is on his way to a 9-5 work as he gets shot in the brain and gets killed.

chorus:

"I said there's no such thing as a straight path

my brother got hit the other day by a straight blast

in the brain on the train on his way to work

He gotta spend most his life doing dirt

But as soon as he decides to get a 9to5

then why would God decide to take his life?

There's no such thing as a straight path"

outro:

"I said there's no such thing as a straight path

unless you come out the vomb on a straight path

and if i live where i live how long will that last

as we live everyday like it's our last"

The album is as i said solid. a 3 outta five, 7 outta ten. Memph hasn't and will never be a huge rapper cause he hasn't any real attraction, he doesn't get to you.

That doesn't really matter. Straight Path is one of the best songs i've heard this year.

Well, I'm not gonna lie. I've been into Bleek. Particularly when I 1st heard him wit Jay on "Coming of Age". Then to hear that Jay-Z wrote that for him, kinda had me doubt. He's just not a major rapper in anyway. If anything, getting personal on tracks is his only benefit. At least he doesn't lie, it is all about the money. So he's gettin' what he can get. People looked at him like the one to be after Jay-Z. I guess wit that, the standards were set to high and he wasn't his own. Some of his tracks r worth blazin tho, but whole albums- nope.

I think Memphis Bleek is an average mc most of the time, he hasn't really done anything to stand out but he doesn't sound horrible, he's the borderline between great mcs and wack mcs, Jay-Z needs to sign better mcs though if he wants to keep his label flowing well if he doesn't put out anymore albums, it'll be interesting to see what Foxy Brown does on her album.

That's interesting, because the single I thought, Like That, produced by Swizz Beats, was horrible. The beat was hot, but the lyrics were wack. I don't know, maybe he is a decent mc after all.

I really don't thin dear summer is the best song. It mostly the haters that said that.. but then you can flip it around.. Memph solo song on jiggas albums was one of the best on that too...

Yeah, he has talent, but he never really has done anything with it, unfortunately for him.