JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

VH-1 HIP-HOP HONORS

JumpinJack AJ

Wow! I'm just mentally floating now. Sometimes, when i think about how much i hate the current state of commercial Rap, and how i don't have a big desire 2 check out 2 much underground stuff, i get depressed on how the music that runs my life just sucks on a commercial level. I think about how much i have 2 rely on music of the past 2 keep me going. However, when i see stuff like this, i am reminded that i am Hip-Hop biggest fan. I'm just floating on cloud 9 at the moment.

Run and Russell Simmons hosted the awards. As they should, if it wazn't 4 them, Hip-Hop would not be where it is 2day without them. Of course they share some comedy as they do in their shoe commericals, but they also share Hip-Hop insight. They introduce the honoree, and LL's outfit waz straight out of 1985, but with a modern twist. It waz kinda weird that Grandmaster Flash wazn't sitting with the Furious Five. Anyways, the whole event waz laced with Run and Russell talking b4 and after each commercial breakes. Pete Rock got no camera time til the end, but he handeled the music 2 and from commercial break...which waz usually Gang Starr instrumentals.

Here we go y'all. It all started with a tribute 2 Ladies Love Cool James. Every honoree waz featured with a montage featuring clips and new interveiws. Giving LL props waz Nelly who came out in LL getup, covering "I'm Bad." I've never thought Nelly waz good, but he's tribute waz respectable...least when comparing his tribute 2 his normal stuff. Ciara waz brought out on the chorus of "Jinglin' Baby" and they went in2 "Doin' It." Which waz kinda embarassing since they both just didn't hold the song down. LL's vocals were playing under the beat and Nelly still messed up a line or 2. However, after that, LL took the stage. Just like it waz '91, girls came out holding signs that spelled out LL's name. LL's gear waz totally tight and he broke in2 "Mama Said Knock You Out" with just as much energy as he did performing it about 15 years ago. He soon lost the jacket and showed us the best body in Hip-Hop. His performance just summed up everything that LL Cool J is all about. After actually being somewhat proud of Nelly's performance, all that died when i waz reminded how a real emcee rocks the freakin' crowd. Everybody, especially Queen Latifah waz feeling his performance. He ended his set by saying "I Love You." Talk about respect.

Next up waz a tribute 2 Ice-T. I've always liked Ice-T and gave him props...but after this performance (the 1st time i've seen him perform on TV in about 10 years), i realized i've been underestimating him. Snoop Dogg came out in the beginning. Unfortunatly i don't own a single Ice-T album so i didn't remember the titles of the songs performed, but i remembered all of them but 1. Ice-T of course took the stage with Snoop and showed people what real Hardcore Hip-Hop waz...not Gangsta Rap...Hardcore Hip-Hop. Much respect 2 Hip-Hop's true O.G.

Next up, the legendary and trailblazing group Grandmaster Flash + The Furious Five. Flashed started scratching at his set in the audience. DJ Jazzy Jeff and Kid Capri stepped up 2 their tables on stage. Flash killed it, then passed it 2 Jazzy, who killed it, then Carpi, who also killed it. Sadly, the DJ section waz very short lived, but ill none-the-less. Then, Jazzy and Capri ran off stage and thru' the audience join Flash, and take turns mixing the same song on the same set of turntables. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!! Then The Furious Five took the stage and got their props. Fat Joe even joined them on stage. Not missing a single beat. LL and Ice-T were on their feet rapping along and enjoying themselves...not side by side of course...ha ha.

Next up waz a tribute 2 Salt-N-Pepa. Eve came out 2 basically introduce Queen Latifah. Latifah gave S-N-P crazy love saying that there may be no Queen if it wazn't 4 them. Still sexy, still stylish, still the 1st ladies of Hip-Hop (sorry, JJ Fad waz never on S-N-P's level). The girls didn't miss a beat. U'd never guess they hadn't performed live in so long. Even more amazing, since they did "Whatta Man," En Vogue...THE ORIGINAL EN VOGUE joined them. Let's not 4get Hip-Hop 1st "band" The Roots backing them up. Just like S-N-P, En Vogue just looked amazing, all 4 girls 2gether. Choreography and everything waz totally on point. The crowd gave them crazy love...especially LL.

Next up waz a tribute 2 Boyz N The Hood. I haven't watched this movie as an "adult" but i remember it making an impact on me when i saw it when i waz younger. Ice Cube showed up in the form of an interview...but i dont' know why he couldn't be there.

Here comes the part that makes no sense 2 me. Kanye West. Yes, he's one of the "hot" people on the face of commercial rap right now. But he came out in the ugliest cloths ever, and did a boring performance of "Gold Digger." Ain't nothing wrong with that, but he wazn't paying tribute 2 anyone. The performance waz just there. And after performing a silly kinda poppy song like that, he acted all hard and serious at the end. It waz just out of place if u ask me. Vocally i didn't think he waz as bad as i expected.

Next up, the legend, the lyrical, the smooth, the flashy, Big Daddy Kane. It's about time he get some props on a commercial level. Jermaine Dupri came out speaking about his impact and introduced T.I., Black Thought (w/ The Roots doing the music again), Common Sense, Biz Markie, + the man himself, Big Daddy Kane. T.I., like Nelly sounded better performing quality music over his own stuff. However, after being impressed by T.I. for a second, Black Thought came out ripping the mic, reminding me that T.I. has no skillz..ha ha. Keep in mind, The Roots are keeping the music LIVE and Biz Markie is just destroying the wheels of steel. Every emcee is also backed up by background dancers. Common Sense came out next and also displayed ultra skill on the mic, b4 going in2 a breakdancing bit which wowwed the crowd. Kane himself took the stage next and also broke in2 a dance. Since i only have one Big Daddy Kane album, i can't remember the titles of the songs played, but remembered all of them. LL waz on his feet rhyming from his seat...as waz The Furious Five, Ice-T, and Salt-N-Pepa.

Wrapping up the show waz a tribute 2 The Notorious B.I.G. I don't wanna start a fight, but while he waz alive, i never waz impressed by him. I actually dissed him while he waz out and couldn't stand most of his music. However, looking back on it, it dosen't bug me like it used 2. But i will say i always loved "Juicy." Anyways, Puffy came out introducing this part of the show. Biggie's fam waz in the honoree box. The Biggie set opened with a crazy remix version of "Juicy" by Faith and Ludacris featuring a choir in the background. Next up, Little Cease did "One More Chance" w/ Faith. Speeding things up waz Kanye West w/ "Hypnotize." I must say, while neither of them were amazing, i never heard any of those 3 rapepers sound better than they did doing those Biggie song. LL and The Furious Five were on their feet rapping along. By the end, Grandmaster Flash + S-N-P were all nodding along 2 the set. At the end, Faith acknowledged Biggie's fam who waz with Puffy. I really think the Biggie tribute should have been in the middle of the show, cuz LL Cool J or Big Daddy Kane would have been better 2 put at the end of the show. After all, last years finale waz amazing with "Rapper's Delight" and all the DJ's and emcee's taking the stage. Biggie tribute wazn't on that level.

Overall, it waz beautiful. It waz amazing. It waz everything i ever wanted. It had old school mixed with new school. It has nothing but respect and love. Most of the honorees showed this kinda love, but LL took the cake. He came up in there, the 1st honoree, emcee, movie star, millionaire, and he showed what real Hip-Hop is. He came in their stylish, but not egotical (like Kanye West), he waz only a few feet away from Ice-T, but didn't bring up old beef. He showed everyone love, he rapped darn near every song performed that night. He showed us that u can be the Greatest of All Time and still show love and be a fan of everyone else in the building. Man, all the honorees need 2 make a new album, radio needs 2 change, commerical Hip-Hop needs a change. This show is what Hip-Hop is about. If u missed it, u gotta see this. For those who can't see it, there waz a commercial saying that u could watch parts of the show on VH-1's website.

Che-che-che-che-che-check it out.

This has been AJ...fresh...from 2005.

:)

Yeah it was a phenominal show, like Heavy D says it was, "Nuttin' But Love", Uncle L really enjoyed himself, it reminded me of when KRS was rappin' and dancin' along to everybody last year, haters look foolish saying that LL has a big ego 'cause he does respect his peers. Basically like I was saying all along when you see Kanye perform on commercial shows with Luda, 50 Cent, Nelly, and TI, he looks like a rap god but if you see LL, Ice-T, Big Daddy Kane, Grandmaster Flash and Furious Five, and Salt-N-Pepa perform with En Vogue, he looks like he doesn't even belong there, FP shoulda been there performing "Party Starter" instead 'cause it was like a big party, well next year there's no doubt in my mind that JJFP will be honored, they should host one of the shows one day too, that'd be a lot of fun to see, btw En Vogue is reuniting now and are gonna work on an album so that's one thing to look forward to. Why wasn't DMC there with Russell Simmons and Rev. Run? I would've loved to see Rev. Run perform his single too but there's not enough time for everything. I read in the article on VH1 that Big Daddy Kane was entertaining the people with new freestyles during rehearsals so I guess he's probably working on a comeback album, fingers crossed for hip-hop's sake, he really had the best performance of all the great performances, he was dancin' around like he's still 20, I can't even do those moves, lol, LL killed it like usual too! If anybody wants to see the performances go on VH1.com!

Edited by bigted

I thought Nelly did a good job with the tribute to LL Cool J. Overall, it was a great show, it is nice to see the old school still getting respect. It was evident how much better it is than modern rappers.

Seeing shows like that proves why ol' school mcs should be ranked higher than today's commercial rappers! VH1 is winning over credability by doing this, maybe BET and MTV could learn from them:

VH1 hails the phat of the land

By MARISA GUTHRIE

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Born in the urban jungle, hip hop has gone mainstream.

The culture, the clothes, the language and, of course, the music have permeated the mass market.

VH1, a music channel with a history, celebrates the pioneers of the genre with the second annual "Hip Hop Honors" tonight at 9.

"What we try to do is create a platform for these artists, and that way we can show what the culture of hip hop has contributed to the popular culture," said executive producer Jac Benson.

"I think now hip-hop culture is popular culture," said Benson. "It's gone beyond acceptance. It's been absorbed into the fabric of America."

Taped last week at the Hammerstein Ballroom, the show is hosted by brothers Russell and Joseph Simmons (Reverend Run of Run DMC), two pillars of the genre.

Pioneers Big Daddy Kane, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, Ice T, LL Cool J and Salt-N-Pepa are among those honored.

The show includes performances from many old-school artists as well as the new generation, which includes Kanye West, Nelly, Eve, Missy Elliott, Faith Evans, T.I., Common and The Roots.

Salt-N-Pepa, who haven't performed together since the '90s, will reunite with En Vogue on their hit collaboration "Whatta Man."

It's the first time they've performed the song together live.

At rehearsals last week (the show was taped Thursday night), Sandy Denton (aka Pepa) admitted that she was a little nervous.

"We've been rehearsing so hard and trying to get it so perfect," said Denton. "It really feels good, the chemistry. We couldn't have had a better collaboration than Salt-N-Pepa and En Vogue."

The all-girl trio, which includes DJ Spinderella, were rapping about female empowerment when Lil' Kim was still in knee socks.

"Well, I don't want to toot my own horn," said Denton. "But, yeah, we made it possible. We were the first to break through, to break through the male barriers. And we went worldwide."

The VH1 audience "grew up with these artists," said Benson, who also cited luminaries from the era like LL Cool J and Grand Master Flash.

But VH1's hip-hop show is more than just an amplified trip down memory lane.

Indeed, Snoop Dogg, in a Chrysler commercial schooling Lee Iacocca on the lingo of the street, underscores hip hop's prominence in the zeitgeist.

The show mixes the old and new. Nelly performs with one of his idols and influences, LL Cool J. And Grand Master Flash and the Furious Five join with Fat Joe, DF Disco B and Dr EZ Mike on the "Frisco Disco," "Goodtimes," "Seven Minutes of Funk" and "Dance to the Beat."

Flash and DJs Jazzy Jeff and Kid Capri also took the chance to provide a lesson in the old school art of "scratchology."

"When do you get to see these guys together except at a show like this?" asked executive producer Lee Arolontz. "Everybody loves to celebrate a little bit of history and to see it going forward. I think that's what the show has, a little bit of nostalgia but also something fresh."

E-mail: mguthrie

@nydailynews.com

I couldn't believe they had Nelly on there. :jada: He's about the least Hip Hop of a person I can imagine. It started out quite wackly with him performing and then Ciara??? These people don't belong in this show at all.

Anyways, the rest was great, especially the BDK segment, and it's one of the few instances on TV that gives me the impression that Hip Hop has "grown up."

Nelly's performance was a lil' boring but at least I could've understood a few of the words he said there, when he performs his songs it sounds even more annoying, lol.