JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

REV RUN - DISTORTION

JumpinJack AJ

I picked up the album 2day ($7.99 at Circuit City) and got what i expected. After hearing the 1st single, i knew that i wazn't gonna get the Run i wanted on this album, but i'm still happy 2 have it. Run's delievery and flow is the same on every track. He uses he's high pitched yelling voice on every single cut. I wanted 2 hear some straight up, laid back Hip-Hop. After all, when Run-DMC waz having creative differences, Run favored the straight Hip-Hop sound while DMC waz in2 more rock and folk styled stuff. It isn't really a Rap/Rock album. It reminds me of the Beastie Boys' last album. He keeps it totally retro which is cool when u are in the mood 4 that, but i just want some modern Hip-Hop from Run. The beat machines are straight old skool and the beats are Hip-Hop but played bock live rock instruements. Lyrically, he brings the flava he's always brought, which is of course a good thing. The album is different and refreshing. I waz hoping the album would have trax like It's Over, Queens Day, Crown Royal, Ahhh, Let's Stay Together, Ay Papi, and Simmons Incorportated off of the Crown Royal album, but no such like. Even the Crown Royal trax like "Rock Show" are better than the stuff on Run's album.

I wazn't expecting a Run-DMC album, but it's nowhere near what i wanted. I love Run and will always support him, but i'm longing for some straight Hip-Hop. I like this album tho'...i've been listening 2 it non-stop since i picked it up. I'm gonna track down that Liberty X CD single so i burn a CD 4 the ride with the more recent Run-DMC stuff. By the way, what is the title of the remix that has Run on it? I know there are multiple versions of that song and i wanna make sure i get the remix that features Run.

He'll be on the radio edit.

The main version features Rev Run on it so shouldnt be to hard to find.

Im still hyped for this Solo album, being into Rock music to kind of helps i guess. My Fave Run DMC track ever was Rock Box.

Cheers for the review AJ

You could say this is Rev. Run's 2nd solo album 'cause "Crown Royal" was 99% Rev. Run since DMC wasn't really on any of the tracks on there. Does this album have any guest appearances? He was on TRL last week with his kids and one of his sons is a producer so I was wondering maybe if he had his son produce anything on there?

I don't think any guest producers worked on it. It says that the whole album waz produced by Whiteboy and Rev Run. No guest appearances either.

I wouldn't call this his 2nd solo album. Jam Master Jay put in lots of work on the album. DMC waz only on like 2 track and on the hook of another, but it's definitly a Run-DMC album. Going past the shock of Jay's murder, Run-DMC waz actually gonna come back harder than ever. Run and DMC were gonna blend their styles and come back with a full album b4 Jay waz murdered. I wonder how that next album would have turned out.

Back 2 Distortion tho'...i've been listening 2 the album all day 2day. It's still definitly a "mood album"...meaning i'll only be in the mood 4 it some of the time, but i'm definitly feelin' it.

Here's an interview with him with IGN:

http://music.ign.com/articles/657/657825p1.html

It's pretty good.

He says that this is how he wants to do it. Here's a few questions from the interview that highlight the point:

IGN Music: Which is what is totally tripping me out. The last album, Crown Royal, seemed to be all about the guest appearances from Kid Rock, Sugar Ray, the whole nine. And this is totally different, stripped down.

Run: Well I'm in a good space right now. I was able to discern what I was supposed to do, so I just went and made a record that sounds like Run DMC compared to when Clive Davis was pushing me in a Santana [supernatural]-type direction and then I was left there with L.A. Reid with an album that Clive had started and that was, in his mind, the way Santana had a bunch of collaborations and it was fun, the idea, and Clive giving me that attention was special to me, but I won't say it was my best creative effort.

IGN Music: Then is it safe to say that Distortion is more of an album that you personally wanted to make?

Run: I'll go for that. I wanted to make Crown Royal, too. It was an opportunity to have the spotlight on me, so I was happy to do it. But this one is better, I would say. A better effort and pure. It's all a journey for me. I had a very, very big time during the '80s. The beginning of the '90s kind of cooled off the way things do. I believe I will be making a magnificent splash back to the game as a solo artist.

God Blessa!