JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Quincy Jones blasts "modern" rappers

TopDawg14

Producer/composer QUINCY JONES has blasted modern rappers for turning their backs on their jazz and blues heritage.

The jazz and R+B legend fears he could ask 100 hip-hop stars about their musical roots in New Orleans and other southern US cities, and most of them wouldn't know what he was talking about.

Jones, 72, says, "These guys really think they can continue this wonderful life and not know anything about (Mississippi) delta blues music. Jazz and blues are the two most powerful types of music we've ever had.

"You cannot afford to not know this music. Americans, period, do not know anything about that music, especially black kids, not a clue.

"I bet most rappers you ask wouldn't know who DUKE ELLINGTON or CHARLIE PARKER is."

Thanx 4 sharing. Quincy Jones is probably the single most-respected person in music. Quincy knows Hip-Hop. Whenver he has emcees on his albums, he has people like Melle Mel, Big Daddy Kane, Heavy D, LL Cool J, and so on. Not 2 mention working with JJ+FP for The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and being cool with 2Pac (after their beef).

Now I understand his point or whatever. And I'm sure we've all known or been those share of people that criticize what one does not know when they really should or whatever. But how come is that for people/kids that like Rock, Reggae, Country or whatever that is out nowadays, nobody criticizes them for not knowing their history?

I think it's people in our young generation altogether that don't know about history period, not just young rappers coming out.