JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Nick Cannon signs to Motown Records

bigted

http://www.starpulse.com/news/index.php/20...th_motown_new_a

02/03/06

Nick Cannon Signs Deal With Motown; New Album In Spring

Motown Records has signed celebrated, one-man entertainment arsenal, Nick Cannon, in a venture with the actor/musician, to be called Can I Ball/Motown Records. Cannon's debut for the new label, Stages, featuring the first single "Dimepiece," and guest appearance by the first artist signed to his label, Izzy, is slated to be released in spring 2006. The new disc is executive produced by Cannon and Michael "Blue" Williams, and features a host of top notch producers including Kanye West and artists such as Talib Kweli, Anthony Hamilton and 112.

"I'm thrilled to be able to work with such a passionate, monumental executive like Sylvia Rhone," stated Mr. Cannon. "The new team she has put together at Motown has hit the ground running, and I'm excited to be launching this venture with such a capable and inspiring group of people who love music."

"Nick is one of the most extraordinary, multi-talented stars in the entire entertainment business," stated Sylvia Rhone, President of Motown. "His charismatic presence, his endless reservoir of talent, his boundless creative depth and sensitivity toward the human condition makes this a seminal signing for us. Nick's tremendous poise and business acumen also ensures the Can I Ball imprint is destined to become a vital component of the Motown legacy."

Nick Cannon's rise in the film, music and fashion business has been nothing short of meteoric. Cited by People Magazine as one of the 'Top Ten most successful young people in Hollywood' and featured on the Cover of Black Enterprises' 40 Under 40, the effusive star has been garnering accolades from all corners of the entertainment community. His combined creative endeavors, including breakthrough movie and TV roles, and his own successful multi-million dollar clothing line, have entertainment industry analysts citing him as Hollywood's next one-man power-mogul. Cannon landed his first breakthrough role on the Nickelodeon hit series All That, at only 18, and subsequently was awarded his own starring vehicle on Nickelodeon, winning his first kid's choice award for The Nick Cannon Show, which he starred, directed and executive produced.

The 2002 hit film Drumline would be the breakthrough role for Cannon, leading him to other memorable performances in films like 2003's Love Don't Cost A Thing, and others. That same year he released his own self-titled debut album, and has collaborated with a host of other musicians, such as R. Kelly, E-40, Lil Romeo and B2K on soundtracks and other projects. In 2005 he starred in the movie The Underclassmen, in which he wrote and began hosting, producing and directing his own MTV show, Nick Cannon Presents Wild'n Out, which is the networks #1 rated show.

Along with an exciting new label deal, Cannon is currently under new management. Michael "Blue" Williams, President & CEO of Family Tree Entertainment who is most recognized as the catalyst behind Outkast's career success, is now also overseeing Cannon's musical career. Williams was instrumental in negotiating Cannon's label deal with Universal Motown Group

That's my boy. His new single is bananas...i love it. I can't wait 2 see how things are gonna pan out. Hate him or love him, he's doing big things, and unlike the negative, untalented, money-hungry, cuss-word-infested-rhyming, blinged-out, weed smoking, grill-wearing, "sex me" commercial rappers, at least this cat breaks the mold and brings something positive 2 the table.

I'm gonna check out this album and see if he improved from the 1st one, I think he could be better than a lot of rappers out now if he focuses on it, now that he got a new deal he'll be able to promote himself better, being on Jive wasn't good for him....

You actually think that Interscope's gonna drop Will, lol? The "Lost and Found" album's about to be certified platinum, they can't do that, what more could they expect from milking "Switch"? Now if 50 Cent only did that then they'd drop him 'cause they got higher expectations for him, you can't expect a clean 37 year old rapper to sell 5 million with just 1 hit single, everybody knows it ain't '97/98 anymore, times changed and nobody's anticipting Will, maybe if they actually put effort into release more singles/allowing him to perform other songs at shows besides "Switch" and it still only did that then I could see them dropping him... Nick Cannon sold less than "Born To Reign" with his album, it's not a surprise Jive dropped him, but honestly how could you expect people to have interest in an album if you release the 1st single a year before you release the album, that was the dumbest promotion move ever, lol, I think the results could be better this time for him though since "Wildin' Out" is the #1 show on MTV, he has a fanbase now...

Edited by bigted