JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

HIP-HOP GROUPS

I've never thought huge sales and successful singles were all that Hip-Hop has 2 offer. I waz back on the Sony boards in 1999 saying that...ha ha. I'm just saying that even the underground doesn't do much 4 me these days. Alot of them don't even come with the total package (delivery, flow, lyrics, beats, chemistry). I'll check a few of the groups that u guys have mentioned that i haven't heard yet....but even 4 those who have skillz...it doesn't change the fact that real Hip-Hop are nearly extinct.

But what exactly constitutes "Real" Hip Hop? Aren't there people saying Hip Hop's whole purpose was underground and something for the communities? Then it got commercial and widespread. I don't think hip hop is "party music" now. It's now generally bad "club music". But that's just from a mainstream point of view.

Who was the last legitimate artist that pretty much everybody could have mutual respect for and they dominant the chart, airwaves, etc.?

Yeah I agree with AJ that hip-hop's lacking quality artists whether it's mainstream or underground, there's probably as many less quality underground rappers as their is mainstream rappers, even worse sometimes, there's actually rappers out there that 50 Cent could beat in a battle they're so bad, there's a reason why some never blow up, they're not good,

it don't really matter, and in between there's some quality mainstream rappers but overall the game's in a drought right now, there's only a handful of quality artists in between, it's really the opposite of the golden era where mostly everybody famous or not as famous all had a lot of skills and it was hard to find those who didn't have any, "real hip-hop" is about quality and there's just not much of it, there's less quality hip-hop on the most part and I think that's why a lot of people around AJ's age don't buy much current albums 'cause if you compare those who're considered the best now to what was there 15 years ago, they'd be considered average, people jump on one good album and call it classic but it's really just average, you just have to accept that there might not be another De La Soul, it's just like there won't be another Michael Jordan, you gotta accept it for what is, you might be looking for something great but there's really just a few good things in between...

Edited by bigted