JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Hieroglyphics on BET!

Hero1

• Admin

Oakland, CA (PRWEB) May 14, 2006 -- “Hyphy is the like the rebirth of hip hop,” proclaims BET Rap City’s host, Madd Links, when the network captured three days of footage in the Bay Area to document this pop culture. Hyphy—which originated in Oakland—has hit the national scene and enticed mainstream media to document the phenomenon. BET created a weeklong series to document this movement. Rap City’s “Hyphy Week” series will air daily at 5:00 pm PDT during the week of May 22, 2006.

Rebirth may be understatement. “Hyphy promises to be more like the ‘second coming’ of the glory days of Bay Area music artists,” stated Charles Johnson of Oakland’s Young Lion Entertainment. It has been more than a decade since hip hop dominants like MC Hammer, The Luniz, Digital Underground and E-40, put the Bay Area music scene on the map. Hyphy has erected a new stage for unique and talented artists like Oakland native Mistah F.A.B, rap’s version of the Grateful Dead — Hieroglyphics Crew, The Federation, and the ageless Too Short. The country will have the opportunity to catch a glimpse and experience the movement through BET next week.

The BET series covers the past, present, and future of Bay Area Hip Hop. The series opens Monday’s with Too Short—a pioneer Oakland Rapper who went from slanging tapes on the corner to platinum sales—and concludes on Saturday with the Bay Area’s TOP 10 COUNTDOWN: The schedule is as follows:

Monday 5/29/06 - Too Short: A Day in the Life?

Tuesday 5/30/06 - Hyphy: A subculture of Hip Hop

Wednesday 5/31/06 - E-40: His second wind

Thursday 6/01/06 - Hieroglyphics & Davey D: The Past, Present, & Future

Friday 6/02/06 - Bay Area: The Road Map

Saturday 6/03/06 - Top 10 Countdown

The coordination and planning of “Hyphy Week” is the work of Supervising Producer of BET’s Rap City, Matt Smith, BET Rap City’s host, Madd Links, Rap City Producer Malik Buie, and Coordinating Producer Charles Johnson. The series is highly informative and offers insight to yet another dynamic chapter

That's dope news, west coast hip-hop is dope, I'll be sure to watch..

it's dope to see the West getting recognized but i have 2 points to make. 1. hieroglyphics is NOT hyphy music and 2. most hyphy music sucks. E40 and 2 Short are the best artists, but a lot of these underground artists you'll see in this documentary only talk about going "stupid dumb and hyphy" and smokin purps. most of these bay MC's would get lyrically torn up by a real MC but the reason they are popular is because of what they are reppin

nevertheless it'll be dope to see since i grow up in a hyphy area and see this stuff all the time.

edit: the first paragraph of the article says the series will begin airing at 5:00 on the 22nd but the schedule shows it starting on the 29th. anyone know what it really is? i guess i will have to tune in at 5:00 today and see if its on or not.

Edited by WesSyde

Is Too Short on his 20th album now? lol

Yeah Too Short's recent stuff sounds rushed, I like his older albums better, he's a dope mc though

• 2 weeks later...

I was watching today, they were all freestylin', it was sick!! :kool:

i saw it... pretty wack actually. the videos and commericials take up 50% of the time. then when they were interviewing Hiero, Domino and Casual did most of the talking.

the freestyle was sick tho. Cas started it off then Tajai came in and ripped it and then Opio finished it off. i wanted to hear A-Plus and Phesto freestyle too tho.