JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Hitmaker Dallas Austin Sentenced Four Years

bigted

Hitmaker Dallas Austin Sentenced To Four Years; Reportedly Receives Pardon

07.04.2006 11:22 AM EDT

Lawyer says producer could be released within a few days.

Dallas Austin

Photo: Paul Hawthorne/Getty Images

Dubai's ruler pardoned American R&B producer Dallas Austin on Tuesday, hours after he was sentenced to four years in prison for possession of cocaine, two of the producer's lawyers told The Associated Press.

Al Maktoum issued the pardon but Austin has not yet been released from jail, said the lawyers, one of whom told the AP that Austin's release was "a matter of paperwork." The lawyers requested anonymity, citing the sensitivity of the matter.

Austin, 33 — who's worked with TLC, Gwen Stefani, Madonna, Pink, Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson and many others over his 17-year career — was traveling to Dubai to attend Naomi Campbell's three-day birthday party at the Burj Al Arab hotel when he was detained at Dubai International Airport on May 19 (see "Hitmaker Dallas Austin Imprisoned In Dubai On Drug Charges").

Dubai police had pulled Austin aside at customs upon his arrival at the airport and searched his luggage, where they found a small bag containing slightly more than a gram of cocaine. The presence of restricted drugs and medication in the body can count as possession in the United Arab Emirates, the Persian Gulf nation in which Dubai is located, and Austin's urine had also tested positive for drugs, according to authorities.

Austin claimed at his arraignment on Sunday that he was only guilty "by mistake" (see "Hitmaker Dallas Austin Pleads Guilty To Drug Charges in Dubai"). "I had no knowledge and no intention of violating the law," he told the court.

A second member of Austin's five-man legal team told the AP that the producer's release could take a few days. Austin is expected to be deported after his release.

Dallas Austin is incredibly talented and i love his stuff. But i've he's had "issues." I guess we all know now. This is probably why Chilli left his butt. He's work with JJ+FP, TLC, Boyz II Men, Monica, Pink, Madonna, etc is amoungst the best of the stuff coming out at it's respective time.