JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

MJ NEWZ

JumpinJack AJ

Jackson Comeback Gig 'Embarrassing'

LONDON (Nov. 16) - British media rounded on Michael Jackson and the organisers of an awards ceremony where he appeared late on Wednesday, calling his first public performance since his child molestation trial last year "shambolic."

'Jackson the Flop'

Far from the full rendition of mega-hit "Thriller" the world's media had been led to expect at the World Music Awards in London, Jackson instead sang the chorus line of his charity single "We Are the World" with a choir of children.

When he reached for the higher notes he appeared to struggle, and mid-song the sound was inexplicably cut.

U.S. star Chris Brown sang "Thriller" instead, even wearing the familiar red leather jacket of the original video, but he failed to placate a crowd who had not come to see a stand-in.

"Jackson the flop" was the Daily Mail's headline in its online version on Thursday, describing what many had hoped would be a triumphant comeback.

The review, which accused Jackson of not trying, added: "It was enough to make you cry. And not in a good way.

"However many times he told us he loved us (and there were many) -- and however much we yelled and screamed and pinched ourselves, his performance was a shambles."

The mass-circulation Mirror called the event an "embarrassing comeback" and focused on those in the crowd who booed at seeing Jackson sing just four lines of music.

Its rival The Sun, Britain's top selling daily, gave 48-year-old Jackson just one star out of five for his evening's work and dwelt on Jackson's "strange" appearance.

BADLY ORGANISED

Organisers of the annual World Music Awards were also criticised for a chaotic evening.

Besides sound problems during Jackson's performance, around half the winners of main awards did not show up to receive them, hostess Lindsay Lohan made only a few fleeting remarks and there were long waits between each performance.

The organisers were not immediately available for comment.

How the show affects Jackson's bid to revive a flagging career in music remains to be seen.

For years he has been better known for his changing appearance and lurid accusations against him than for his songs.

Since being acquitted of child molestation charges at a trial that ended in June 2005, he has lived the life of a recluse, dividing his time between Bahrain and Ireland.

But despite losing his crown as King of Pop long ago, he still generates hysteria among loyal fans wherever he goes.

Hundreds of well-wishers waited outside Wednesday's event for a glimpse of the most successful entertainer of all time. Inside, they chanted "Michael!" throughout the evening and booed some of the acts who came before him.

One banner held up in the crowd read "The King is Back."

Judging by the wider reaction to Wednesday's performance, he still has a long way to go.

Yeah a lot of papers over here said that he was being booed and I dont think that was the case! It was Rhianna that was being booed because they expected Michael to perform straight after his speech!

However, Michael did say there was a mixup and he was never meant to perform in the first place!

yeah maybe its just me trying to defend mj too much, but i think its mainly the organisers fault. They led people to believe it was mike that was gonna sing thriller, and when he did sing, it seemed like there was a sound problem, the mic was really loud.

i saw a video from the crowd on youtube and the crowd didnt boo, they went completely mad and shouted we love you and stuff.

I have to admit i was dissapointed too tho.

well when the media heard that he was performing thriller, people seemed excited which surprised me a little, not as much negativity than i had thought, but after it was hyped up so much and mj didnt really perform, it made headline news that it was dissapointing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gOjJPnNPp0

Here this shows how the crowd really was, no booing, just screaming.